This web site is designed to give to the the Begonia lover, a data base
of important information on a large number of the newer, more popular begonia cultivars.
Data has also been accumulated on a large number of species. The principal reference
sources have been:
- "The Begonian" for the 30+ years,from 1971 to the present.
- The Smithsonian Begoniaceae, Editions 1 and 2.
- Begonias, the complete reference guide, ML. & EG. Thompson.
In addition, a large number of photos have been accumulated from private plant collections
and from various Begonia shows. These are displayed as either sets of photos or
as individual pictures for identification purposes.
There has been no attempt to make the data base encompass all of the 12000+ named begonia
cultivars. That task will be left to others. Similarly, there was no attempt to
include all of the 1500+ recognized begonia species. That job is also being
undertaken by others.
At this point in time the web site contains information on:
- Over 3500 cultivars and over 1400 species, synonyms, or temporary names as found in:
--The Catalog of Registered Cultivars, Ivy McFarland.
--The Begonian for years 1971 to the present
- Begonia cultivar data already available on the internet.
- Limited data from the Buxton list and it's revisions.
Most begonia cultivar data can be assessed either by an alphabetical
or by "horticultural type" listing.
Each individual entry contains the following information, when available:
- Begonia name.
- ABS Registration Number.
- Hybridizer, or author of the name.
- Horticultural type.
- Cultivar parents.
- Date of registration, hybridization, or name publication.
- Reference source,ie.,The Begonian year, type of information, and page number .
- A color photograph.
The web site does not contain a description of the plants in words. The reader
must refer to the source material for this information.
Copyright 2012 Astros Branch, American Begonia Society
Original website by Bill Claybaugh, redesign by Malcolm McCorquodale 2012